When to Submit Your Expense Report

It is very important that you submit your Concur expense report within 30 days of the end date of your trip. Please submit just one expense report per trip.

 Expense Subcode List
 Expense Report FAQs


Fiscal and Calendar Year-End Expense Report Reconciliation Procedure

It is critical to the University’s financial statements that all Travel Card expenses are properly recorded as University expenses in a timely fashion. To ensure the recording of overdue Travel Card expenses, we have established the following procedure which will be enacted twice a year before the end of the fiscal and calendar years in June and December.

  1. All unreported non-travel expenses and travel expenses for completed trips more than 90-days old at the time of the procedure or date noted via email will be placed on an Expense Report by the Payment Processing Department for the Travel Card user during the month of May or November.
    • During May/November, Approvers should require cardholders to attach receipts, ensure that the proper account number is being charged, and submit the report for approval.
    • The cardholder or Approver musty notify the Payment Processing Manager, Stephanie Ford-Jones, of any over-90-day charges that are for future travel and should not be expensed at that time.
    • The Expense Report will be charged to one of the cardholder’s default accounts unless the cardholder changes this. The cardholder should verify that Expense Reports are being charged to the correct account number.
  2. During the first two weeks of June or December, the Payment Processing Manager will submit any reports that remain unapproved.
  3. Journal entries may be done to correct any expenses hitting incorrect account numbers. All journal entries must be recorded by FRS (Financial Record Services) by the date indicated on the fiscal year-close schedule to be properly recorded in the correct fiscal year.
    • You will not be able to correct expenses for future travel reconciled and expensed in the wrong year with a journal entry. Please see the second bullet under step 1 to ensure you understand how to prevent this error.

Important Notes:

  • Line items without a receipt or business purpose description, when that information is required, may be considered as taxable income by the IRS.
    • The cardholder will be able to add receipts and/or business purposes after a report has been submitted and approved.
  • Departments may have additional requirements or requests for Expense Reporting. Please check with your approver to verify they have no further requirements.

University Travel Card

Make sure that all University Travel Card transactions have been downloaded into Concur from the bank (depicted by an orange symbol). This can take up to a week depending on the merchant. As soon as the card transactions are available, you can process your expense report.

 University Travel Card FAQs


Mileage Reimbursement

Use Concur's Mileage Calculator to calculate reimbursable miles.  See Entering Personal Car Mileage in the User Guide for more information.

Personal Mileage

When using your personal vehicle for business purposes, reimbursement will be based on the mileage rate established by the Internal Revenue Service. Mileage is to be calculated using the Google Map function in Concur from your starting point to your destination. You must deduct your commute from your total mileage. The mileage reimbursement is to cover operating cost of your vehicle such as fuel, insurance coverage, repairs, etcetera. Parking and tolls are separate from the mileage rate.

Commuting Expenses

You may not be reimbursed for the costs of taking a bus, trolley, subway, or taxi, or of driving a car between your home and your regular place of work regardless of the distance--even if you work during the commute.


The fixed per diem amount for your destination determines your daily meal allowance (in Concur, this is called a travel allowance). To get your per diem, create or import an itinerary into your expense report in Concur. Exclude any meals that you did not have to pay for.  If you used your University Travel Card to pay for individual meals, mark those expenses as personal. This will prevent the University from paying twice for your meals.


Your hotel invoice (or "folio") should be attached to your expense report. Upload your paper or electronic copy - unless the hotel sent an e-receipt directly to Concur. Look at the itemization on the folio, and itemize your lodging expenses in Concur to match. Itemization separates room rate from room taxes and separates business expenses (such as required wireless internet service) from personal expenses (such as movies, dry cleaning, and room service).

Miscellaneous Out-of-Pocket Expenses

Remember to include miscellaneous out-of-pocket expenses. You may have paid in cash for metro tickets, parking, or shuttle transportation. If you drove to the airport, use Concur's Mileage Calculator to figure out your reimbursable miles.

Per Diem

The University supports per diems for meals in travel when the duration of the trip is at least eight hours. Some departments may apply a more stringent policy for actual meal receipts in travel; please check with your supervisor or business manager for specific departmental per diem policies. The University will not reimburse above the per diem rate.  If you are following per diem, visit www.gsa.gov for details; the rates on this website are loaded in the Concur application and can be imported from your itinerary.


An electronic receipt is required for any travel expense over $75 and for any meal regardless of dollar amount. Receipts are not required if you are taking per diem. For group business meals, see specific policy language. If you already used the Concur Mobile app or ExpenseIt to send your receipts unless you are to the Receipt Store, your receipts are already in Concur and ready to be applied to your expense report. Otherwise, upload your receipts into Concur.  Note - receipts must be legible.

Receipts FAQs